Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

I do not have the pleasure of seeing my dad on Father's Day due to the 1,000 mile span between us. Thus, as today was the day we set aside for dads, I placed the perfunctory call home to wish him a good one. After we got the pleasantries out of the way, our talk fell on to running shoes.
There are few people in my life with whom I can discuss running shoes. For a runner, getting a new pair of shoes that will carry you over distances yet untraveled is an exciting event. But the non-runners among us really couldn't care less about the springiness of your new shoes, the breathability, the design, etc. So the fact that my dad and I were able to have an informed discussion about footwear, a topic we're both interested in, is a delight to me. And it is certainly a new development.
My dad is training for the same triathlon that I am. He's actually the one who inspired me to take up the sport to begin with. When my mom told me he was tossing the idea around, I was impressed. My dad bikes around the town my parents live in and swims up at his beloved cabin in the North Woods. A runner, though, he is not. So to consider competing in a triathlon is definitely a stretch for him.
But for whatever reason, my pops decided that he was going to do this thing, and he is committed. And I am both impressed and proud of him. Regardless of how he does in the race, or whether he is even able to participate in it, it takes incredible courage to go outside one's comfort zone and take up a brand new activity. Yet, at 50+ years of age, he has done just that and has greatly inspired me in the process. It goes to show that, with a little guts, motivation and effort, you can strive to redefine yourself at any age.
I am like my dad in many ways. We are both emotional people but are somewhat guarded with our feelings. Small talk doesn't come easily to us (or at least not to me) and the fact that neither one of us is a big phone person has put some distance between us. But training for this triathlon has given us some common ground. Even though we aren't training together, my thoughts often gravitate toward him during my runs or bikerides. I am so excited to hang out with him before the start of the race, our adrenaline pumping as we wait for the chance to do this thing that we've been preparing for all this time. This triathlon has deepened our relationship. And it's caused me to see my dad in a whole new light.
Dad, you are an amazing man, and I consider this venture that you undertook to be just another example of your grit and strength. I thank you, Dad, for yet again doing what you've been doing your whole life--for teaching me to challenge myself, to believe in myself, and to be true to myself. I love you and am so blessed to have you as my dad. Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment